Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blurring the Lines

I like art. I'm especially fond of prints and photography and have bought quite a few from Etsy, art shows and when traveling.

In addition to supporting artists on Etsy, I am really fond of 20x200. They always have an interesting artist pick or feature. Plus you can't beat the price!

And really, while I don't have much room left at home or at work and I have things I already need to get framed, I'm still drawn to these pieces. So much so that I just bought them.

Vogue July 07: page 145 (Ripeness is All)


These two prints by Laura DiCioccio are created using an interesting tecnique -

I make sculptures and paintings about my anticipatory nostalgia for obsolescing paper media objects. The softness of a read newspaper page and the glossy slickness of a fresh magazine page are sensations embedded in our physical memory — the familiarity of touching these objects allows a relationship to form in the process of consuming the information they provide. When these objects disappear from our culture and assume the homogeneous texture of a back-lit screen, I fear that some of our intimacy with the process of reading will fade.

Fashion magazines are the source materials for my series color codification dot drawings. I make each piece on a sheet of frosted mylar laid over a magazine page. After assigning a color to every letter in the alphabet (numbers are in grayscale, 0=white and 9=black), I apply tiny dots of paint over every character on the page. Each drawing I make has a different color codification, and therefore a different palette. The resulting painting is a legible blur of dots in the form of the article’s layout — like a system of Braille for the color inclined.


Vanity Fair May 2008: pg 269 (and, incredibly, looking not a day older)

As a fan of the printed word, graphics and color, these appeal to me and resonate with me. I think they are going to be a great addition to my work space but they would also be great at home too.


If you haven't checked out 20x200 (or Etsy for that matter), your walls are missing out. Please take down any Michael's print of Van Gogh and get yourself something unique for your space. Plus, who knows, your artist may be famous someday!

No comments: