Sunday, March 1, 2009

Imitation = Flattery?

I know a big part of what Pat Field likes to do is play with the high and reinterpret to the low but sometimes I think she goes a bit wrong... off into the tacky direction.

The obvious original piece - the YSL Mail clutch. Sleek, shiny and classic. I have to admit I adore this.

Pricey... yes, that too.



I applaud Ms. Field for making the style accessible but the way its done just looks a bit chintzy to me. It's too colorful. Too trying to look like a real piece of air mail. It loses the streamlined graphic design that makes the YSL version so appealing.

Express Mail Clutch by Pat Field -



I know you don't want a total knock-off but it is obvious to me where the "inspiration" came from. By trying to distance itself from the original it just came out messy. Rather a closer inspired design in maybe a new fresh color (hot pink? bright aqua?) that would have been a better way to go.

No comments: