Sunday, October 5, 2008

Basic Influences

I was just over on Coutorture reviewing the latest coverage from the Paris shows and took a run through the Louis Vuitton Spring 2009 runway photos.

As always, my first look is at the shoes and accessories and this show was filled to the brim. What stood out at me first were the more casual shapes of the bags, the willingness to not be pristine about the logo material, and the embellishments.



Mostly because the chunky beading reminded me of old wooden bead stringing sets.



Slightly more mature colors but it's there.



Not that we don't already know that Marc Jacobs (like much of the movie and advertising industries) has a fondness for the elements of his past and is mining the touch points of his 1970s-80s youth. You remember the Lego accessories last year, right?



The show had a very obvious tribal tone to it but seriously, don't you think this shoe is taking it just a bit to far? I mean, come on already!



Lovely as art. Somewhat offensive as footwear?



But overall, and after looking at a bunch of photos from other shows, what I took away from this collection was "Buy More Accessories!"

Not the style, not the clothes (although I love the grassy skirt much like I liked the skirts from the Fall 2007 RTW Prada show) but rather "Here is a bunch of lower price point entry pieces - let's push that."



Or maybe I'm just jaded after reading Deluxe.



I am a huge fan of embellished shoes but these look like an art project gone bad. There isn't a lot of harmony to the design.

Is that what we have in store for us?

It's like the Reality TV mindset of the shoe world. It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it gets attention.

Alright, now I've depressed myself.

1 comment:

WendyB said...

Yeah, I'm not loving those shoes. Maybe I would in person but the photos don't do anything for me. Like you say, they seem to be just trying to get attention but I don't see the beauty or even the ugly-beauty.